Monday, September 21, 2009

UN, Commisson on Environment,10x10

77 days to Copenhagen

This is Climate Week.  A few important events this week in Santa Cruz:

Tues - Sept 22 - Barak Obama address UN summit on Climate Change
Tues - Sept 22 - 7 pm Capitola - Commission on the Environment 
Wed - Sept 23 - 5 pm - Santa Cruz County - Commission of Environment

Being a political neophyte, I had a few questions about the County's agenda.   Below is my email to Nancy Gordon of the County.  

If there are things I should be asking, or a better way to ask them, please let me know.   (Like Vietnam and Civil Rights, sometimes we can not wait for government, is 10x10 an answer?)


County of Santa Cruz - Commission on the Environment
Dear Nancy:

A couple of things:

  • August 26 minutes -

    "A member of the public asked for clarification on earlier presentation; Johnson explained public comment process for future meetings."

I also asked about what are the 5 or 10 specific actions on the COE's "hot list" to address the environment and legislation.   Chairman Johnson answered that solar tax district was one and she would have more specifics at September 23 meeting.
  • For this coming meeting, if there are any related documents may I see them in advance, so I can follow the discussion?
  • Committees, Task forces, etc. - Are these open to the public?
  • County "Climate Action Strategy" - sorry, where do I find this document?
  • Not sure where to ask the rest of these:
  • Does County of Santa Cruz report CO2 emissions (Ia4?) Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT), CO2 reductions, targets? Also, can this ICLEI info be updated?
  • Copenhagen Climate Change Conference - education and information to Santa Cruz public?
  • UN "Seal the Deal"  - education and information to Santa Cruz public? actions?

  • City of Santa Cruz reported CO2 emissions (note: transportation - 50% of C02, US - 20%) actions?
  • Position on 350 ppm (350.org)?  ( 2C limit,        Jackson Hole   ) - again, public? actions?
  • October 24, 2009 - International Day of Climate Change     - again public? actions?
  • Other important environment actions?   (ex: plastic bags ban?)  But  again  my question is really what actions are are on the Committee's plate?
  • most important - local specific actions, targets and data.

I appreciate your patience with me - I think Climate Change is very serious and action can wait no longer.  For example, the 10x10 movement is to achieve 10% reduction in CO2 emissions by December 31, 2010. 

So Section I has me a bit concerned:  research and topics are excellent, but I want to be sure understand what is research and what is current action to reduce CO2 emissions or improve environment.

==

No comments:

Post a Comment