Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Climate Action Day in Santa - How and Why


Unity, Awareness, Climate Action in SC - October 24, 2009


==
Today's developments are below, but please read this:

I've gotten a number of emails with questions so I want to explain how I envision October and why.

First the how part:

As in other cities on International Climate Action Day, Santa Cruz can have numerous events/activities/teach-ins with Climate Day theme.  Every organization, club, school, church in town can do so  (tree-planting, teach-ins, children's activities, hikes, picnics, religious service etc.).  Of course, you do it under your own 'flag', just do something that honors Climate Day and our urgent need to act collectively. Can be public or private.  If public, please post it on350.org and facebook group  I'd like to see UCSC, Cabrillo, schools do similar things; again as independent entities.  Every citizen should be involved.

The public can go to 1 or many of these activities.  It is a day of Unity; we put aside our differences. (more below)

Morning:  This when I envision most of these independent activities occuring.

Afternoon:
March down Pacific Avenue to Town Clock.  At Clock, there will tables where various groups can hand out literature.   People Power will arrange a (fair) trial of one of man's most popular inventions.  Then there will a rally, with speakers drawn from community leaders, environmental leaders, scientists, etc.  Not boring speeches, but speeches which explain the peril we face and what, collectively, we must do.  I think it would be great to have a large TV screen to see events elsewhere in the world.

Evening:
Independent activities continue, but I understand their are other important events, scheduled long ago.


Now the why part:

I can stir the pot, but not much more.   But you can do much more  - you have organizations here, work here, live here, have children here, sit on government boards.  I don't.   I appeal to you  to act.  Nobody else can do it; all 200,000 people in this county must act.   Do not wait.  You don't need my permission or anybody else's. 

Santa Cruz must have 1000 groups dedicated to very good causes.  But I did not see much activity scheduled for Oct 24 on 350.org and so I asked around, still nothing.   I do this because I feel I must; nobody appointing me; nobody asked me.   I ask for Unity because, as an outsider to Santa Cruz, I don't see as much collaboration as I had thought. 
I can stir the pot, but not much more.   But you can do much more  - you have organizations here, work here, live here, have children here, sit on government boards.  I don't.   I appeal to you  to act.  Nobody else can do it; all 200,000 people in this county must act.   Do not wait.  You don't need my permission or anybody else's. 

And just who am I?  I belong to no group, have no organization or money.  I am the beardless, slightly unkempt guy carrying around 3 heavy bags, from coffee house to coffee house, intently reading month old newspapers (thanks Steve)  I spent almost 6 years in China and now I do not recognize or understand my own country or people.  I am nobody.  I spent 6 years telling the Chinese people, many of whom eagerly want to leave China for 'a better life', which the newspapers don't report, that they must fix their own country first.   Now it time for me to help fix my own.

I didn't pick October 24.   I didn't pick Climate Change.  I don't make the rules.  You can change the vision of the day, but I'd like to stick with "Unity, Awareness and Climate Action."


If we are  going to make October 24 happen, we need many events and I  will need  help, too.
-coordinate independent activities
-coordinate rally and march
-etc etc

Thanks.
==

Latest Developments (Oct 5)
-Sentinel posts Event
-lot of tweeting going - hope to go viral soon
-Beau of San Lorenzo High has taken over the Facebook page - and doing great - thanks!!
-people from Toronto, Bulgaria, elsewhere sending us support and local contacts
-Transition Santa Cruz on board
-Arcata, CA redwood event here.
-Google Climate Tools
-Letter from Gregory Bondi (below), who is working with Greg Archer on GT article

Tasks to be done:
-co-ord rally & march
-co-ord speakers & info tables
-AM activities
-publicity, posters,
-social media

Received a great letter from Greg Bondi, who sees the urgency and is also eager create Climate Day in SC.  (thx Collette)

No comments:

Post a Comment